Words: Craig Jarvis | Photo: © Kolesky/Nikon/Lexar
Cape Town - the 50th Billabong Junior Event, set to take place in Cape Town over 8-10 August - is loaded with prizes and prize money. There is no U18 division, and with the total prize pool of the U20 Pro Junior division up to R30k, U18 surfers are encouraged to join the U20 surfers and enter this division. U16 surfers can also enter the Pro Junior division. To enter this division you need to be a paid up ASP member, and ASP Africa are offering significantly reduced rate to join.
A Full Regional Membership will cost $45, which is down from previous cost of $100. A once-off Regional Membership will put you back $15, down from the previous cost of $25, and the event entry fee for this event is $30 - down from the previous cost of $80.
The cash component of the prize pool is thus:
• U12 Boys – R1, 000 1st Place / R2, 500 Total Prize Purse.
• U14 Boys & U14 Girls – R2,000 1st Place / R5, 000 Total Prize Purse.
• U16 Boys & U16 Girls – R2,000 1st Place / R5, 000 Total Prize Purse.
• U20 Boys – R8,000 1st Place / R20, 000 Total Prize Purse.
• U20 Girls – R4,000 1st Place / R10, 000 Total Prize Purse.
The Pro Junior division results and video clips will be posted onto the ASP website event mini-site www.aspworldtour.com/events/2014/mjun/1031/billabong-junior-series-prese... and surfers wishing to enter can contact ASP Africa on 021 5345738 or
There will also be a number of Specialty Awards at the tournament. These awards can be won by any competitor, in any age division, and in any round of competition throughout the events.
• BOS Surfer of the Contest – Most Impressive Surfer at each event will win BOS Product
• Nixon WTA – Winner Takes All – Highest Heat Score of each event will win a Nixon WTA-engraved watch.
• DaKine Wave of the Day – Best wave of each day of competition, at each event will win DaKine Prizes (3 awards per event – 1 for each day of competition).
• KR Fins Free Award – Most Radical Fins Free maneuver, of each day of competition, at each event will win KR Fins (3 awards per event – 1 for each day of competition).
• Dennis Ellis Underground Ripper Award – 2 x custom made surfboards for the most impressive unsponsored surfers at the event (1 x male and 1 x female surfer).
The Specialty Events:
• VonZipper BrainBlast-Off – VZ Airshow Event at each event – VZ Sunnies for a year (A full 12-tray of VZ Awesomeness).
• Coaches VS Judges Tag Team Tussle – A 5-man Tag Team Event between Coaches/Dads VS Judges at each event.
There will also be Product Prizes throughout the event:
- Playstation will be sponsoring product prizes to the division winners at each event – PS3 and PSVita Consoles.
- Samsung will be sponsoring product prizes to the 2nd place finalists at each event – Samsung S4 Mini Galaxy Phones.
- Nixon will be sponsoring product prizes to the 3rd place finalists at each event with each surfer receiving a Nixon Blaster.
- There will also be more product prizes sponsored by Billabong, BOS and Playstation.
At this momentous 50th Junior Series event, Surfing South Africa, who has long been a supporter of junior surfing in the country, expressed their pride in their partnership with Billabong. "Surfing South Africa is proud to be celebrating the 50th Billabong Junior surfing contest at Long Beach, Kommetjie in August," said SSA general manager Robin De Kock. "The partnership between Billabong and Surfing South Africa is solid, and to be celebrating this milestone with an iconic brand that has done so much for junior surfing over the years is something special. Congratulations Billabong and here's to at least another 50 Billabong Junior contests."
The event supporting sponsors:
Playstation, Samsung, Techniblock, Nixon, VonZipper, DaKine, KR Fins, Dennis Ellis Surfboards. Future Life will be looking after the Billabong athletes and staff members with their unique 'smart nutrition' breakfasts - www.facebook.com/futurelifeza