PEPPADEW® PICKLED ONIONS FISH SALAD
Here is a recipe for a fish salad a Portuguese friend introduced us to. It is deliciously garlicky and we serve it with chunks of Portuguese bread so that we can clean our plates in style!
800 gm hake fillets, de-scaled with skin on
Seasoned cake flour
Vegetable oil for frying
Mixed salad greens, tomatoes and cucumber to serve
Peppadew® Pickled Onion Vinaigrette:
2 jars Peppadew® Pickled onions
200 ml (4/5 cup) olive oil
2 bay leaves
5 black pepper corns
3 cloves of garlic, slice
200 ml (4/5 cup) Peppadew® Pickled Onion pickling liquid
30 ml (2 tablespoons) Italian parsley, chopped
1. Cut the fish into portions. Coat the fish with the seasoned flour, and fry in vegetable oil until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a kitchen paper towel to absorb the extra oil. Set aside.
2. Make the vinaigrette. Drain the pickled onions and reserve the pickling liquid. Cut the onions into thick slices. Set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the garlic slices. Cook for a minute or two until the garlic starts to colour. Add the bay leaves, peppercorns and the reserved pickling liquid. Be careful of the splattering oil. Simmer for 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Place the fried fish portions in a glass dish layering it with the Pickled Onion slices. Pour the vinaigrette over the fish and allow to cool down completely. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. To serve, sprinkle the parsley over the fish salad. Spoon the fish salad onto a bed of salad greens and top with cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices.
GREEN OLIVE SALAD WITH PEPPADEW® PICKLED ONIONS
Keep a container of this Creole-Italian green olive and Peppadew® Pickled Onion salad in your refrigerator. It is a delicious addition to tossed green salad and a great relish to spread on toasted Italian bread.
170 g pitted green olives, cut into slices
60 g Peppadew® Pickled Onions, drained and cut into quarters
4 celery stalks, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
6 garlic cloves, crushed
30 ml (2 tablespoons) capers, drained
45 ml (3 tablespoons) red-wine vinegar
125 ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
5 ml (1 teaspoon) ground black pepper
45 ml (3 tablespoons) flat leaved parsley, finely chopped
1. Roast the bell peppers until slightly blackened. Place in a plastic bag and allow to cool down. Peel the peppers and cut into tiny dice.
2. Combine the olives, onions, celery, peppers, garlic and capers in a bowl.
3. Whisk the red-wine vinegar and oil together and add the black pepper and parsley.
4. Pour the dressing over the salad. Refrigerate until served or up to 3 weeks.
5. Serve at room temperature.