Words & Photo: Leap Communications
Eating a well-balanced diet and pursuing a healthy lifestyle will eliminate the need to detox as your body will naturally cleanse itself.
This is the view of top SA nutritional consultant, Vanessa Ascencao who cautions against “quick fix” detox diets.
Ascencao says if the body’s detoxification organs such as the liver, gut, skin and kidneys are in good shape at all times, the body will naturally retain a state of constant self-cleansing.
“My philosophy is choosing a way of life that improves and optimizes the function of your body’s own detoxification systems. This is done by decreasing the amount of toxins we put into our bodies while supporting our detoxification and elimination systems with the nutrients they need to function properly.”
“We should be developing proper nutritional plan that satisfies us and keep us healthy in a way that is continually cleansing the body of toxins. The real work is what you do 90% of the time, day in and day out, not what you do for a week of every year,” said Ascencao.
“So, while juice fasts or eating barley and wheat grass for a week may be short-term ways to address toxicity, the long term answer is to ensure you constantly pursue a healthy lifestyle, consume natural food such as fruit, vegetables and lean protein and eliminate processed foods and sugar from your diet (see here: http://www.otcpharma.co.za/products/diabecinn/dr-verhelst-healthy-food-c...).”
Ascencao warned against short-term detox regimes, unless under medical supervision.
“Some people react badly and actually get sick on detox diets. Detoxing awakens toxins in our system which can lead to unpleasant side effects such as headaches, nausea and diarrhoea. It’s a lot more important to follow a lifestyle where you ‘detox’ on a continual basis,” she said.
Herewith Ascencao’s top 10 tips to ensure a naturally healthy body:
1. Fill up on greens: Eat lots of veggies & salads (at least twice a day). Every lunch and dinner should contain a raw salad and some green steamed or grilled vegetables. Fruit and vegetables contain fibre, anti-oxidants and low GI carbs – all great for a clean and healthy system.
2. Consume the juice of up to 2 lemons daily. Squeeze them over salads, in water, or over veggies. Lemon helps regenerate and support the liver.
3. Avoid dairy products. We are the only beings on the planet that consume another animal’s milk. Most of us are allergic and intolerant to dairy. We don’t have the enzymes to digest the lactase. It is also mucus and acid-forming.
4. Sweat! Go to yoga, swim, run, take a brisk walk or cycle. Ensure you move vigorously every day.
5. Avoid all “fake and artificial” sugars. These are toxic and hard for the body to recognize and break down.
6. Stay hydrated. Drink lots of water between meals but drink minimally with meals so as not to dilute the digestive enzymes.
7. Limit alcohol and ditch fizzy drinks, even the diet ones (they deplete the body of minerals, especially B vitamins and are also very, very acidic).
8. Occasionally, treat yourself to a small amount of good quality dark chocolate for dessert.
9. Chew your food well. Eat slowly. Not only does this extract more nutrients from food, but you will feel full before overeating.
10. Supplement: Choose the correct supplements in consultation with your nutritionist or doctor. It’s not always possible to get all the nutrients we need from food so I compensate with Marcus Rohrer Spirulina. This powdered algae is one of the highest sources of protein (in both the plant and animal kingdoms). It contains all eight essential amino acids; is rich in many antioxidants, vitamins and minerals; contains as much iron as red meat; is loaded with enzymes and essential fatty GLAs that fight inflammation; helps fight allergies; helps lead to glowing skin and hair; and is an overall detoxifier with over 100 nutrients and the full spectrum of minerals to protect our cells and ensure overall good health.
For more info, see: www.marcusrohrerspirulina.co.za or visit Marcus Rohrer Spirulina on Facebook, call 021 785 3683 or mail