Words: De Kock Communications
Thuli Gogela, of Mzanzi Style Cuisine, says it's the togetherness that food brings, that inspires her to cook for family and friends. She's crazy about mushrooms, which is why you'll find them in this dish. "I try to use them whenever!" Thuli is serving this simple but sophisticated prawn dish this festive season "because it tastes of summer, its flavours are generous and it's a sensational match with Nederburg's gorgeous Ingenuity White, a wine that oozes personality."
Courtesy of: De Kock Communications
Not in an obvious way, though, she explains. "It's subtle, deep and mysterious - crisp but creamy, refreshing and rich at the same time. To me it tastes like a praise poem, which is why I love to share it with the people who really matter in my life." Ingenuity White is available from selected stockists locally and retails for around R185 a bottle. The Sauvignon blanc-dominated blend comprises eight varietals, including Chardonnay, Semillon, Chenin blanc, Rousanne, Verdelho, Viognier and Gewürztraminer.
Recipe: Roasted Harissa Prawns with Tomatoes, Baby Marrows and Mushrooms, paired with Nederburg Ingenuity White
400g jumbo prawns, deveined, shells and legs removed with tails intact
2 cloves garlic, minced
30ml (2 Tbsp) harissa paste
60ml (4 Tbsp) salted butter, melted
2,5ml (½ tsp) freshly milled black pepper
80ml (⅓ cup) fresh parsley, chopped
Juice of half a lemon
250g large brown mushrooms, peeled
250ml (1 cup) cocktail tomatoes
Baby marrows, sliced lengthwise
Salt and freshly milled black pepper, to season
30ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
Salad leaves (lambs lettuce, baby butter and watercress), optional
1. Preheat the oven to 230°C.
2. Turn the prawns on their backs and make a vertical incision down the centre of each prawn without cutting all the way through.
3. Place the prawns on a sprayed roasting pan.
4. Sprinkle the parsley, salt, pepper and garlic over the prawns.
5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour the lemon juice over the prawns.
6. Mix the garlic, harissa paste and butter to form a paste.
7. Rub the mushrooms and tomatoes with salt, black pepper and olive oil and roast in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Grill the baby marrows in a pan on the stove with salt, pepper and olive oil while the mushrooms and tomatoes are roasting. Remove from the heat once slightly soft.
9. Plate the mushrooms upside down, place a layer of the grilled baby marrows and tomatoes on top, then add a layer of prawns and place a dollop of the garlic, harissa and butter mixture on top.
10. Serve with salad leaves (optional).
11. Enjoy with Nederburg Ingenuity White.
Visit www.nederburg.co.za for more on the brand, or send an e-mail to . Follow Nederburg on Facebook (www.facebook.com/nederburg), Twitter (www.twitter.com/nederburg) and Youtube (www.youtube.com/user/NederburgWine)
for the latest news, events and wine as well as food pairing ideas. Join the conversation using: #NederburgDiscover