- Digital Articles
- inCREDIBLE PLACES
- 94.7 Cycle Challenge
King of the Fort 2012
On the 4th and 5th of August 2012 the fastest downhill skateboarders from around South Africa will all be in Pretoria to compete for the title KING OF THE FORT. 2012 will be the third year that First Nature has hosted this gravity racing event. 2011 saw a significantly larger field of racers than 2010 and this year looks to be even bigger with over 50 riders entered already and there is still a week to go!
The racing at King of the Fort is always intense with most heats being won in the last two corners. These last two corners are in close proximity to the finish line offering a fun-filled and exhilarating experience for the spectators. The race is set on the road leading down from Fort Schanskop which is situated inside the Voortrekker Monument Reserve, rife with natural vegetation and even wild animals.
Come and enjoy the day with us – pack a picnic, bring your kids, partners, uncles, aunties and in-laws. Come and see what gravity racing is about.
Facts about King of the Fort:
• Sanctioned by SAGRA (South African Gravity Racing Association) and IGSA (International Gravity Sports Association)
• 2012 is the 3rd annual event
• The winners of KOTF 2010 and 2011 both went on to achieve the title of National Champion in their consecutive years
• KOTF 2012 saw the first time there was a womans category for Downhill Skateboarding in South Africa
• Currently the only sanctioned downhill skateboarding race to be held outside of the Western Cape since 2004
• Attracts the most vast field of riders in terms of where they come from in South Africa
• Facebook event here
• Follow @FirstNature on Twitter or use the hashtag #KOTF
8am – 12pm – Rider and media registration
10am – 1pm – Practice for all riders
1pm – 5pm Time Trials (Individual runs for each rider)
8am – 10am – Media registration
8am – 12pm – Warm-up for all riders
12pm – 5pm – Racing (This is the best time for spectators)
5:30pm – 6pm – Prize giving
Voortrekker Monument, Eeufees Road, Pretoria. (Take the N14 North if you’re coming Johannesburg)
For more information or to enter the race as a rider or media, please go to www.kingofthefort.co.za.